Monday, May 4, 2015

Unwanted Earrings

The other day I was working at my internship when we were brought to a site where traps had been laid. Inside a few of these traps lay little mice. (They were so cute!) The reason they were being caught was to monitor them, but, in order to monitor them we had to tag their ears. And so, even though I tried convincing my supervisor to consider alternative methods (like ankle bracelets), my ideas were rejected and the little mice were pierced. This left me wondering how the mice must have felt, and so I'm writing a small piece from the perspective of a mouse. 


It's a cold night here on the beach
The wind is stabbing at my skin
In the distance I hear a duck flailing around
It has a broken wing 
Poor thing can barely right itself
It'll die soon
I'm still cold and oh so hungry
Oh my, what is this?
A box with bedding!
Some oats and foods!
I should run in here before the winds get any harsher
Who shut the door?
Was there somebody behind me?
Why and I trapped in here?
Hmm. For now I will wait
The bedding is warm
The food is good
I'll wait a little longer
Woah, it's morning!
Why am I floating?
Who's that at the end of the box
Where are they taking me?
Why are they holding me?
Are they going to eat me?
What's this pressure against my ear?
Ow! That hurt!
They stabbed me!
Now they released me
I have to get away
What is this on my ear? 
Why is it stuck?
I can't get it off
My ear is heavy
I don't know what just happened
What is going on?
I'm cold and hungry again...






No comments:

Post a Comment