Sunday, April 19, 2015

Tofu I love you #veganlyfe

Tofu is a mystery. Is it a cheese or what!? It’s made by fermenting soybeans, and is often mixed with preservatives so watch out. The most common of the “meat substitutes,” it is a seemingly untamable beast. So common, yet so hard to make: it’s what keeps Chinese restaurants in business I swear. Above all, tofu is a delicacy. It’s cake for vegans, barely dinner. To do justice to such a glorious product, first you have to get the water out of it. I rinse first, then wrap it in a paper towel to clean it. Then, I wrap it in four pieces of paper towel, squash it between two plates, and put books on top. Wait until those are soaked and repeat.

For fried tofu, I usually cook it in a lot of oil at very low heat, stirring and turning as often as possible with a flat spatula (plastic if you have the time, wooden if you end up needing to scrape the pan): the long version takes over half an hour–see below for browning process.









Also pictured is the Tofu pizza. The only special things I do for pizza are put a bunch of leeks in the sauce, also vegan pizzas lose flavor because of the relative lack of fat, so I just try to get the most “pizza-like” tasting toppings to make up for it, like peppers, olives, mushrooms... or eggplant works really good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment